Skip to main content

Distracted Motivation


 

        The day is gray. The sun is hidden. The air is cold. The trees are bare. No birds can be seen. No squirrels frisk about, and my tidy room is as cheery inside as out.

        I don’t want to write or do anything I know I should be doing. I would rather clean my bathroom than do what I need to do. My endless list of 5-minute-to-dos invites me to flee from solid, hard work. With my fingers to the keys, I type away, looking for flutters of inspiration from the recesses of my mind, from the unloosing of the things at the forefront.

        In my mind of imagination, I visit a day in the early past when the sun shone; the sky was blue. Squirrel one chased squirrel two and squirrel three brought up the rear. The wind was chilly, but the grass was green, the sun was bright, and the sky was blue.

        Stacks upon stacks of linear bricks. Streaks upon streaks of rust on metal. Fog in the sky. Fog in my gears. Perhaps a little free writing is the oil I need. Commitments to something fun in my day are an incentive to cheer up and write.

        Cucumbers for lunch perk up my mood. A walk down the street is an appealing invitation. Tidying my desk would increase my concentration. The pile of things out of the corner of my eye makes my list of 5-minute-to-dos endlessly haunting. But I can see my progress on the lines of the page. I can feel my energy rising with each letter.

        A mite of dust there. A stray lid, a canceled check, and a pile of clean dishes are so many voices in the back of my head. My laundry in the dryer claims my attention every few minutes. My cold feet wonder why I haven’t stopped to warm them. The fan's white noise does help me stay slightly focused, but it’s motivation I need.

        Willpower won’t make my sentences flow smoothly. A pile of mess won’t soothe my mind. A timer won’t keep me from wandering into distractions, because what I needed was a change of mind.

        I know what I need to keep on doing what I need to do. A duster, a cup of tea, a little tidying of my untidy desk, and I am off to a better beginning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Benefits

  I think writing is really a good idea. I do it all the time and nearly every day. Scratch that. I write every single day, even if it is just copying a Bible verse. There isn’t a day I don’t pick up a pen or tap on my keys to string coherent letters together. But different kinds of writing produce different results.  When I write for my newspaper, I am presenting new-to-me facts in a way that is (hopefully) understandable and interesting to the reader. I do not include my opinion in the articles as far as I know, and I am not basing much or anything of what I write on my personal experience. While my writing ability has dramatically increased in the last nine months of writing for the newspaper, I am not ashamed of the first articles I wrote, since there isn’t any opinion.  When I work on the magazine, I have a specific genre to stick to. I am not teaching, but I am, to my best ability, sharing what I have learned and what I think about it. Because Deep Encouragement is about en

Adulting

            I’ve never lived away from home before, but now I do. I like a tidy room, but leftover breakfast dishes sometimes get in the way. I enjoy cooking—in fact, it’s my job—but groceries won’t find their way to my fridge, unless I go to the store and buy them. A walk outdoors greatly improves my day, but the clock seems determined to run out of time. I need clean clothes, a tidy bathroom, and a nicely swept floor, however, there seems to be more important things to do half the time.           A few “non-essentials” creep into the space between my shifts and writing deadlines. Things like eating healthy food for my body, working out, having relational contact with other humans, and reading. All these things "don’t matter," they just affect my everyday life.           Other extremely important things like to fill the place of all those “non-essentials," like wasting my time, preening my toenails, and other “essentials”. The hardest thing to remember, now

A Week in Retrospect

Highlights from each day this week.            Saturday: I worked with Mom in the garden, pruning tomato plants and hauling off weeds. It was companionable to work together.            Friday: I made Swedish apple pie for the first time and really like it. Flour, spices, sugar, leavening and egg are mixed with chopped apples and baked. It is a sensible, yummy desert.            Thursday: I started another book project, which is really fun. It will be writing about my current life as fiction.            Wednesday: Enjoyed my tidy room and a painting mom propped on my bookshelf. I hadn’t known where to put it, and the bookshelf was the perfect place!           Tuesday: Worked on minimalism article for the newspaper and got rid of a few more things out of my room.            Monday: I went to a Sacred Harp singing with a friend. It was a totally new experience and fun at the same time. I sang alto and eventually figured out how to sing with the 4-shape-note system. I’d definitely go again