Skip to main content

Distracted Motivation


 

        The day is gray. The sun is hidden. The air is cold. The trees are bare. No birds can be seen. No squirrels frisk about, and my tidy room is as cheery inside as out.

        I don’t want to write or do anything I know I should be doing. I would rather clean my bathroom than do what I need to do. My endless list of 5-minute-to-dos invites me to flee from solid, hard work. With my fingers to the keys, I type away, looking for flutters of inspiration from the recesses of my mind, from the unloosing of the things at the forefront.

        In my mind of imagination, I visit a day in the early past when the sun shone; the sky was blue. Squirrel one chased squirrel two and squirrel three brought up the rear. The wind was chilly, but the grass was green, the sun was bright, and the sky was blue.

        Stacks upon stacks of linear bricks. Streaks upon streaks of rust on metal. Fog in the sky. Fog in my gears. Perhaps a little free writing is the oil I need. Commitments to something fun in my day are an incentive to cheer up and write.

        Cucumbers for lunch perk up my mood. A walk down the street is an appealing invitation. Tidying my desk would increase my concentration. The pile of things out of the corner of my eye makes my list of 5-minute-to-dos endlessly haunting. But I can see my progress on the lines of the page. I can feel my energy rising with each letter.

        A mite of dust there. A stray lid, a canceled check, and a pile of clean dishes are so many voices in the back of my head. My laundry in the dryer claims my attention every few minutes. My cold feet wonder why I haven’t stopped to warm them. The fan's white noise does help me stay slightly focused, but it’s motivation I need.

        Willpower won’t make my sentences flow smoothly. A pile of mess won’t soothe my mind. A timer won’t keep me from wandering into distractions, because what I needed was a change of mind.

        I know what I need to keep on doing what I need to do. A duster, a cup of tea, a little tidying of my untidy desk, and I am off to a better beginning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...