Skip to main content

Illusional Scents


 

The morning was cool but lovely. A coat was the only extra layer needed for a walk outdoors. I hopped out of my car at the trail head and began at a steady pace up the path. The month is February, and I live in Pennsylvania, but the weather and the plants can’t seem to decide what season it really is. Because of that, the snowdrops are up.

The little flowers start out looking similar to crocuses, but the flower is more like a lily of the valley—a single white flower hanging down like a bell or water drop. The poor bits of finery will probably not withstand the temperature plunge later, but they look pretty while they last. I had to pick some.

Two little flowers found their way into my coat zipper. I didn’t like the scent of the flowers, but I thought they must not smell very nice, that’s all. The flowers sort of smelled skunky. No mind, the flowers are pretty anyway. Five minutes into my walk, after passing many little bunches of snowdrops, I picked a few more. I sniffed those. Hmm. These did not smell skunky at all. I still didn’t like the scent, but it wasn’t bad.

Suddenly, I threw the first two flowers away. Ugg. Horrible. That first bunch of flowers had been recently sprayed by a skunk. Now my fingers stank. I tried cleaning them, but it didn’t work. A bit of vinegar and multiple hand-washings throughout the day finally removed the scent. But my car still smelled of the skunk when I remembered the flowers the next morning.

Things in life are often like the first flowers I picked. The first time I encounter something, it may seem off, but the problem is hard to spot. Later on, something more “normal” shows just how off the other thing is. The “off” thing may be seriously damaging in some way, or merely as annoying as stinky fingers. It is important to stay open to the possibility that the current thing is off and allow the realization to begin a change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...