Skip to main content

A Little Word

 




    I know a little bit of sign-language, and I expand my vocabulary by watching video tutorials of how to sign worship songs. I have learned four songs that way so far, and I think I learned 30 or more new words from them. The context of a song is what keeps the words cemented in my memory.

    The latest song I learned was “What a Beautiful Name.” Before learning how to sign the song, I did not even know how to sing it. Now I can both sing and sign it. Just yesterday I had an opportunity to use a word from the song: wonderful.

    I work nearly every day with a person who is deaf. My desire to communicate led me to continue learning ASL, and it has opened a path of mutual appreciation between us. Last night I got the person’s attention and signed, “You are a wonderful worker.” The person clapped and actually beamed.

    Perhaps in spoken English, I wouldn’t have chosen the word “wonderful,” using a more mediocre “very good,” but with the descriptive word, I was able to communicate importance to a fellow worker.

    I made the other person happy, but it also felt really good to me. It felt good because it took work to be able to be able to say such a simple thing as a compliment.

    Kindness has two recipients: the receiver and the giver. “Give and it shall be given to you” is really true. Never underestimate the value of a compliment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...