Skip to main content

Declutter Fever



I got declutter fever. If things are messy, it means two things: the amount of stuff is too much and the organizational system is incorrect. I found all of this is true every time. 

My room was a bit messy. I had gotten sick, but the stuff just kind of got out of hand. I think I only got rid of ten items, but it cleared up the space I needed in my functional organizing system. I had a couple food items taking up a lot of space in my tiny pantry area. I had not eaten them in three months, which is a sure sign I am not going to eat it in the next three months. I put the non-perishables out for other staff if they wanted it and threw out other perishable food I wouldn’t eat. This gave me the space I needed for the food I currently want to eat. 

I took out my trash and recycling. I got rid of a few clothing items I don’t like wearing. And, like the little thing it was, I recycled a couple containers, like yogurt containers, which freed up space. It really was only a handful of decisions, but my surface areas were clear again, and the food in my fridge was what I would eat. That started the fever. 

I knew I had a couple areas at home where there was a lot of stuff I hadn’t looked at for a while. The items just sat there taking up space and guilting me every time I remembered them. I went through those areas, and it just feels better. 

In the pitch of “let’s make living areas better” I helped my mom tackle the mudroom area that used to be the pantry. The room is exceedingly difficult to organize because of its shape and design. With a game plan in mind, I got some matching storage containers, and we worked on the room for a couple hours. It felt so good, and it will be functional. These little victories make life easier and reduce the amount of time needing to be spent on tidying each day. Its the same on little and big scales.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...