Skip to main content

Sourdough

copyright jubilee
Not this kind of yeast...
photo copyright 2022 Jubilee Young

    Bread dough is satisfying, but sourdough turns bread making into a hobby. It takes a little TLC,  but those who stick to it find it rewarding. A couple weeks ago I started a sourdough starter. I have done sourdough before, but it was mostly when I was strictly gluten free, and the bread I made was good, but sour. Later, after I wasn’t gluten free I made it again, and I only liked it with spicy pepper jack cheese. Now, a couple years later, I am trying again. 

It all began again after I listened to an audio book where sourdough was turned into a whole story plot. The fiction story was created around this strange sourdough starter that made unusually good bread. The author had obviously read a lot about sourdough and probably even started a starter before writing the book. I learned a couple things about sourdough I didn’t know before. 

First, the mixture is equal parts of flour and water with salt. I didn’t know about the salt before. Sourdough starters can have different scents, even when they are healthy. I didn’t learn how to make a nice loaf from the book, though. That learning will have to come with practice. 

So I have a new starter now. I bought some whole wheat flour like the book talked about and like I did before. I mixed equal parts of flour and water together with a sprinkle of salt. I wasn’t sure if there would be any natural yeast in my room, so one day I left my window open. By day three or four I had a starter. It smelled sour. Great! 

I tried making little bits of bread with it, but they had too much flour or not enough. The starter was happy so that’s what mattered. One day I noticed the perfectly normal dark liquid that had gathered on the top. First instinct is to pour it off. I read if you stir it in, the bread becomes more sour. Fine, I don’t need extra sour sourdough. 

The starter, I found, doesn’t like tap water, but boiled, so I keep a jar of boiled water ready. The starter was doing fine for a while, but it stopped looking happy.  I remembered the starter in the book was kept in a covered crock. I put a lid on my container, and my starter began to get happy. 

As I fed the starter one day I noticed it smelled like...bananas. Exactly the smell described in the mysterious happy starter in the book. Today my starter smells like fermenting apples.

It does not take much time to take care of a sourdough starter, but it forces you to do something relaxing. It already helps remind me to take care of myself, especially by making cinnamon streusel bread with my starter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Benefits

  I think writing is really a good idea. I do it all the time and nearly every day. Scratch that. I write every single day, even if it is just copying a Bible verse. There isn’t a day I don’t pick up a pen or tap on my keys to string coherent letters together. But different kinds of writing produce different results.  When I write for my newspaper, I am presenting new-to-me facts in a way that is (hopefully) understandable and interesting to the reader. I do not include my opinion in the articles as far as I know, and I am not basing much or anything of what I write on my personal experience. While my writing ability has dramatically increased in the last nine months of writing for the newspaper, I am not ashamed of the first articles I wrote, since there isn’t any opinion.  When I work on the magazine, I have a specific genre to stick to. I am not teaching, but I am, to my best ability, sharing what I have learned and what I think about it. Because Deep Encouragement is about en

Adulting

            I’ve never lived away from home before, but now I do. I like a tidy room, but leftover breakfast dishes sometimes get in the way. I enjoy cooking—in fact, it’s my job—but groceries won’t find their way to my fridge, unless I go to the store and buy them. A walk outdoors greatly improves my day, but the clock seems determined to run out of time. I need clean clothes, a tidy bathroom, and a nicely swept floor, however, there seems to be more important things to do half the time.           A few “non-essentials” creep into the space between my shifts and writing deadlines. Things like eating healthy food for my body, working out, having relational contact with other humans, and reading. All these things "don’t matter," they just affect my everyday life.           Other extremely important things like to fill the place of all those “non-essentials," like wasting my time, preening my toenails, and other “essentials”. The hardest thing to remember, now

A Week in Retrospect

Highlights from each day this week.            Saturday: I worked with Mom in the garden, pruning tomato plants and hauling off weeds. It was companionable to work together.            Friday: I made Swedish apple pie for the first time and really like it. Flour, spices, sugar, leavening and egg are mixed with chopped apples and baked. It is a sensible, yummy desert.            Thursday: I started another book project, which is really fun. It will be writing about my current life as fiction.            Wednesday: Enjoyed my tidy room and a painting mom propped on my bookshelf. I hadn’t known where to put it, and the bookshelf was the perfect place!           Tuesday: Worked on minimalism article for the newspaper and got rid of a few more things out of my room.            Monday: I went to a Sacred Harp singing with a friend. It was a totally new experience and fun at the same time. I sang alto and eventually figured out how to sing with the 4-shape-note system. I’d definitely go again