Skip to main content

The Sacrifice




Kneeling in the dew-laid grass alone
Gloomy, moonless heavens show not grace 
To the man in anguish dripping sweat, 
“God, how can you ask this from your own?”
“This is what I will,” the Voice replies
Trusting heart, yet fearing mind intones, 
“I will do exactly as you say.” 
Sleepless in the prison bars of night
Waiting, hoping for the morning light
Rising at the breaking of the day
“Hurry now. We must be on our way.”

Blow by blow the sticks fall in their place
Wrenching at the heart strings of his love
Staggering beneath the load of dread
Tear-filled eyes behold the road ahead
Downcast eyes lift up to see the place
There it is, the place where He has said. 

Weary footsteps plod the upward track
Footfalls echo as they trek alone
Climbing silence breaks with spoken fear
“Father, we have all, but not the lamb.”
“Fear not, God has provided a lamb.” 

Heavy, dusty stones built in a mound
Twisted wood atop the gnarly stones
Atop the off’ring submits to death. 
“Oh God, provide for yourself a lamb.”

Death is lifted trembling to the sky
The skies explode, the heavens rend:
“Abraham!”


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...