Skip to main content

A Fight

 


I had a fight with a chair the other day. It was a little brown kindergarten chair with metal legs, and a solid, probably metal seat. The chair was positioned right behind the chair where I sat writing. My brothers were interested in the research I was doing for my article, and they had pulled up chairs to watch, placing them right behind mine.

A long while later, they were gone, and I got up to put something in the mailbox. I walked straight into the jaws of the chair. With three kicks the chair had completed its conquest, and I let out a loud, “ow.” Usually that is enough to move on from a bang on a chair, but it just didn’t stop hurting.

I took a minute before going out to the mailbox, then I moved on. Each time I took a step, I felt my leg, and it really hurt. Later, I showed my sister, and she gasped and handed me an ice pack, along with my snack I was making myself. She said the bump warranted her reaction. I put the fabric of my skirt between my skin and the ice pack, and held it on for a while. It felt like it was getting cold, but I just shifted the ice. It felt good on the bruise.

After a while, I removed the ice pack only to see that I had frozen a portion of my skin white. Hmm… That is not very good. I rubbed it to warm it up. When I thought it was warmed up, I went to take my shower. Now my leg had two problems. I had an idea to put coconut oil on the damaged skin, and while I was at it, I put some ginger essential oil on the bruise. It actually helped. I did it the second night, and then left it to heal on its own.

Two weeks later, my leg is still a little sore. The bruise was purple, blue, and yellow, and sometimes it still hurts if I step too hard. The first kick of the chair apparently was the worst, because the smallest bruise already went away. I don’t advise fighting with chairs, especially small metal ones, because they will win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Home

  I am sure you all will pardon my silence, on account of my continuing ill health. I have been home for the past two weeks, but I am really not better than before. I continue to be in pain, unable to do anything besides lay in bed, but I try to keep my spirits up. Everyone's thoughtful notes are much appreciated, and they remind me of how much people care. Thank you all!

The Story, Excerpt from My Magazine

  Dear Friends, I find myself in bed again with Lyme’s Disease. I’ve been in bed since October 21 st , and I just spent two weeks in the hospital. We went to the ER to try to get treatment for a migraine that started at the beginning of October. When I initially started having a headache, I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted and a week and a half later, my head still hurt. I went back, but the adjustment only made my headache worse, and I was losing the ability to function normally. I finally went to the doctor and got some medications to try to stop the headache, but they only made it worse. I hit the weekend and I could no longer get the shot for migraines, and the pain was just getting worse. We headed to the ER. Mom requested a test for Lyme Disease, and it came back positive, indicating a new infection of Lyme. We started a course of antibiotics immediately, using IV treatment, and I remained in the hospital to continue to try to pursue causes and remedies for my h...

Finding Life

       Life is never predictable, but the goodness of God is. Life will throw you curve balls, but the grace of God will catch them while you get there. Life may splinter into a million shards, but the Rock of our Faith will hold us when everything else falls apart. Dreams may shatter, but the presence of God will become tangible so we know His love is not a dream. The peace of God is greater than the roar of present circumstances. The mercy of God is stronger than our frail, human faith. The blessings of God are present and animate when life seems to have taken a bad turn. To find God in the moment I must LIVE IN THE MOMENT.           This is not a cliché. It is a possible reality. Living in the moment means telling God when I am afraid. It is responding to His touch, even when His touch seems painful. Living in the moment is allowing God to restore, allowing God to bring His healing when I still want to struggle. It is allo...