Skip to main content

A Real Dream

 

 Photo credits: Elaine H. 



        Along a road in a state forest, a driveway veered off into the woods. The lane was gently lit by a break in the branches. Ferns dotted the sides and tiny ones crept into the middle of the lane. It was delightfully beautiful. The first part of the lane had been recently driven on, as I could see tire tracks, but the second part had been left for sometime to the care of nature.

        The second part of the driveway was banked with moss. The middle was a soft carpet embedded with ferns, trillium, and other wispy plants. The leaves showed no signs of recent trampling, and the grass had just enough light to peek its way through. At the end of the little lane was a perfect cabin.

        It was a log cabin: dark logs connected by cabin plaster with a sloping roof and a few old windows. The wood framing the porch was old, the roof mossy, and spiderwebs had taken possession. The front of the house, (or shall it be the back?) had a true porch several feet off the ground. The wood had been skillfully laid, but it, too, was inhabited by lichens and moss. Water had warped the end boards, bending them up and down according to its fancy. On the side of the house was a great chimney, plastered with brick and boasting an unusual peephole.

        The doors were locked, but I could see in the window. On the plaster near the door a date was carved: the cabin was built in 1937. The inner contents of the first floor gave apt description to that date. The stove and refrigerator looked as old as the house. To me, the old refrigerator looked like it could be hand cranked. It was small, white, and clunky looking. On a stairway leading up to the bedroom, various items were placed in easy reach of the kitchen.

        A jar of Jiff peanut butter, a Glad cling wrap, mustard, and other items like that. Immediately at my nose in the window was a box of matches. By the labels on all these items, they were not current, and could not have been. While the colors may have faded, the design was just not the current updated ones. They bore the gentle mark of yesterday. (According to other photos on the web, they seem to have been 5 years old, probably not more.)

        In view of the porch, a little footpath led into the woods and to a stream. A bath or pool of sorts had been built on top of a spring. The rocks were covered in moss, and they formed a well-designed rectangle. The bottom of the pool was covered with white sand, but in places it, too, was covered with moss. Some white sand stayed uncovered because of little water jets coming from underground. The water flow was just stagnate enough to encourage mosquitoes, but it was still cool and clear.

        Grass grew all around the cabin. It was not lush, but the spindly growth allowed by low light. Ferns and moss had the upper hand, and but for the road we had veered off in the beginning, it was beautifully quiet. I could have stayed there for a long time.

        It was the perfect place to stay alone for a week or two. It featured almost everything in my dream cabin in the woods, and it was real. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Benefits

  I think writing is really a good idea. I do it all the time and nearly every day. Scratch that. I write every single day, even if it is just copying a Bible verse. There isn’t a day I don’t pick up a pen or tap on my keys to string coherent letters together. But different kinds of writing produce different results.  When I write for my newspaper, I am presenting new-to-me facts in a way that is (hopefully) understandable and interesting to the reader. I do not include my opinion in the articles as far as I know, and I am not basing much or anything of what I write on my personal experience. While my writing ability has dramatically increased in the last nine months of writing for the newspaper, I am not ashamed of the first articles I wrote, since there isn’t any opinion.  When I work on the magazine, I have a specific genre to stick to. I am not teaching, but I am, to my best ability, sharing what I have learned and what I think about it. Because Deep Encouragement is about en

Adulting

            I’ve never lived away from home before, but now I do. I like a tidy room, but leftover breakfast dishes sometimes get in the way. I enjoy cooking—in fact, it’s my job—but groceries won’t find their way to my fridge, unless I go to the store and buy them. A walk outdoors greatly improves my day, but the clock seems determined to run out of time. I need clean clothes, a tidy bathroom, and a nicely swept floor, however, there seems to be more important things to do half the time.           A few “non-essentials” creep into the space between my shifts and writing deadlines. Things like eating healthy food for my body, working out, having relational contact with other humans, and reading. All these things "don’t matter," they just affect my everyday life.           Other extremely important things like to fill the place of all those “non-essentials," like wasting my time, preening my toenails, and other “essentials”. The hardest thing to remember, now

A Week in Retrospect

Highlights from each day this week.            Saturday: I worked with Mom in the garden, pruning tomato plants and hauling off weeds. It was companionable to work together.            Friday: I made Swedish apple pie for the first time and really like it. Flour, spices, sugar, leavening and egg are mixed with chopped apples and baked. It is a sensible, yummy desert.            Thursday: I started another book project, which is really fun. It will be writing about my current life as fiction.            Wednesday: Enjoyed my tidy room and a painting mom propped on my bookshelf. I hadn’t known where to put it, and the bookshelf was the perfect place!           Tuesday: Worked on minimalism article for the newspaper and got rid of a few more things out of my room.            Monday: I went to a Sacred Harp singing with a friend. It was a totally new experience and fun at the same time. I sang alto and eventually figured out how to sing with the 4-shape-note system. I’d definitely go again