Skip to main content

The Problem of Clothing


 


About every twelve months I update my wardrobe, out of necessity. It’s a rather annoying feature of life that clothing wears out. While people in the “days of yore” made clothing that lasted for years, today’s items seem to not make it past a few years or months, depending on how it’s worn.
As I alluded to in my post about pajamas, I am very hard to suit when it comes to clothing. It has to be comfortable, look decent, and also meet my clothing standards. Some of this is helped along by my ability to make clothing. For many years I sewed most of my clothes. Then, I got tired of making things I didn’t like to wear, and I changed my clothing style. Now, I make my skirts, buy my tops, and save my sewing expertise for my mother and sisters. 
My clothing should be rather easy to find in a thrift store, as I wear t-shirts with a vest, but they can elusive. I don’t feel particularly partial to buying Walmart’s new version, as a used item is often a better brand like Old Navy or even Calvin Kline, which will last longer. But a crew neck t-shirt is hard to find, and a decent button-up blouse is even harder. 
My closet wears out is because I don’t keep it particularly full. When I was first changing my clothing, reasonably, I only had a few options until I found and sewed more. These items wore out quicker, because of the use. A full-enough wardrobe won’t wear down as quickly, because the wearing is spread out among the items more evenly.
It comes back to the problem of wearing out in the first place. I am pretty sure that manufactured goods are only meant to last a certain amount of time. The quality brands like Old Navy are made to last longer, but they come with a higher price tag. Even those, with lots of use, will wear out (like my favorite Apartment 9 t-shirt). The only thing that seems to last nearly forever is polyester and poly/cotton blends. The plastic fabric doesn’t wear out as much as cotton, but the polyester can be less comfortable.  
Of course, this is to be expected, because how would manufacturers make a profit when the clothing lasts forever? They won’t. Even clothing has to have an “expiration date” so that the economy stays running. This process of change and elimination helps me contemplate life, revisiting the time when I first got an item, and pondering the lapse of time in-between. As I work on replacing faded, stained, or worn items, I get a chance observe the passing of time as seen in a simple shirt. The clothing represents more than a bit of cotton, but an epoch in the story of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Benefits

  I think writing is really a good idea. I do it all the time and nearly every day. Scratch that. I write every single day, even if it is just copying a Bible verse. There isn’t a day I don’t pick up a pen or tap on my keys to string coherent letters together. But different kinds of writing produce different results.  When I write for my newspaper, I am presenting new-to-me facts in a way that is (hopefully) understandable and interesting to the reader. I do not include my opinion in the articles as far as I know, and I am not basing much or anything of what I write on my personal experience. While my writing ability has dramatically increased in the last nine months of writing for the newspaper, I am not ashamed of the first articles I wrote, since there isn’t any opinion.  When I work on the magazine, I have a specific genre to stick to. I am not teaching, but I am, to my best ability, sharing what I have learned and what I think about it. Because Deep Encouragement is about en

Adulting

            I’ve never lived away from home before, but now I do. I like a tidy room, but leftover breakfast dishes sometimes get in the way. I enjoy cooking—in fact, it’s my job—but groceries won’t find their way to my fridge, unless I go to the store and buy them. A walk outdoors greatly improves my day, but the clock seems determined to run out of time. I need clean clothes, a tidy bathroom, and a nicely swept floor, however, there seems to be more important things to do half the time.           A few “non-essentials” creep into the space between my shifts and writing deadlines. Things like eating healthy food for my body, working out, having relational contact with other humans, and reading. All these things "don’t matter," they just affect my everyday life.           Other extremely important things like to fill the place of all those “non-essentials," like wasting my time, preening my toenails, and other “essentials”. The hardest thing to remember, now

A Week in Retrospect

Highlights from each day this week.            Saturday: I worked with Mom in the garden, pruning tomato plants and hauling off weeds. It was companionable to work together.            Friday: I made Swedish apple pie for the first time and really like it. Flour, spices, sugar, leavening and egg are mixed with chopped apples and baked. It is a sensible, yummy desert.            Thursday: I started another book project, which is really fun. It will be writing about my current life as fiction.            Wednesday: Enjoyed my tidy room and a painting mom propped on my bookshelf. I hadn’t known where to put it, and the bookshelf was the perfect place!           Tuesday: Worked on minimalism article for the newspaper and got rid of a few more things out of my room.            Monday: I went to a Sacred Harp singing with a friend. It was a totally new experience and fun at the same time. I sang alto and eventually figured out how to sing with the 4-shape-note system. I’d definitely go again