Skip to main content

When Fixing Becomes Breaking



  The days of the week seem to never go as planned, unless one lives in a Utopian universe where plans set in stone are easily accomplished. Such was last week. 
I sold my car and got a scooter. A cute little thing which barely reaches 30 miles per hour up a steep hill. I should say, more literally, I got the scooter first, but I had to decide about the car before making that purchase. I reasoned that the car was giving me more headache than it was worth, and I only go to the library, and occasionally the grocery store. So, there was no need for four wheels and a guzzling gas tank to take me the mile and a half to town. 
All went well, until I slipped on the wet grass pulling into my parking space at home. I was fine, but a bit of oil spilled out of the engine through an escape valve. Of course, I would need to refill the oil before I could ride it again, as the oil level was subsequently rather low. I planned to go out the next day, so I found oil and after looking up where the oil was supposed to be located, I poured it in. But the oil level didn’t rise. 
I did a more thorough internet search, and found I had indeed poured the oil into the transmission. The internet prophesied disaster for engine oil in transmissions, and I went to bed after 10 pm in a very frustrated state of mind. Now, I had to wait until for a couple days until I got the right materials to undo my damage done by only a flashlight for light late at night. I paid for the necessary supplies, changed the oil in my scooter and prepared to ride. In the process I discovered my delinquent inspection sticker, so I made an appointment to get the inspection before going to the DMV for the proper license for driving my scooter. (Since it goes faster than 25 miles per hour, I have to have a different license to drive it.) 
I took the scooter down the street to get it inspected, and when I got there, I smelled oil burning. Or rather I saw and smelled it, because smoke was coming from the hot exhaust pipe where oil had evidently dripped. I peered under the scooter and found that the cap for the oil filter wasn’t tight enough, and it was leaking. I figured it would be fine until I got back home when I could tighten it. 
I turned the bolt a little tighter, but it wasn’t working correctly. I turned it the opposite direction to see if I had been going the wrong way, but I wasn’t. Then, the head of the bolt snapped off, leaving the threaded portion inside the cavity. I felt like nothing could really be worse. All that, and now a broken bolt. I waited a day and Dad looked at it, declaring we needed the correct tools, because what we had wouldn’t work. (May I add, the broken piece was in a very difficult spot. It was hard enough to just remove the bolt normally, never mind removing a broken piece.) I dropped a few more dollars, bought a set of replacement bolts, and went home. 
Dad and I worked together and using a chisel I bought. He ground down the tip, and together we removed the broken piece. Alas, the replacement was too small. I rushed to the store while the lady held it open for me, bought the correct size, and then the washer didn’t fit. Chagrined, I went back to the store the next day, and beheld the only box of washers available: eleven dollars. I just needed one tiny washer. 
Earlier that day, someone had reminded me of the proverb, “When it rains, it pours.” I resigned myself to pay it, but whispered to the cashier, “I only need one washer.” She hunted around in the back and found a solitary washer. The manager told her to just give it to me. “I was not going to let her pay eleven dollars when she only needed one washer,” she replied. I walked out the door with my tiny washer, fitted it on the bolt, and finished the oil change. This time, the oil did not leak. I hope nothing else like that happens again any time soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Benefits

  I think writing is really a good idea. I do it all the time and nearly every day. Scratch that. I write every single day, even if it is just copying a Bible verse. There isn’t a day I don’t pick up a pen or tap on my keys to string coherent letters together. But different kinds of writing produce different results.  When I write for my newspaper, I am presenting new-to-me facts in a way that is (hopefully) understandable and interesting to the reader. I do not include my opinion in the articles as far as I know, and I am not basing much or anything of what I write on my personal experience. While my writing ability has dramatically increased in the last nine months of writing for the newspaper, I am not ashamed of the first articles I wrote, since there isn’t any opinion.  When I work on the magazine, I have a specific genre to stick to. I am not teaching, but I am, to my best ability, sharing what I have learned and what I think about it. Because Deep Encouragement is about en

Adulting

            I’ve never lived away from home before, but now I do. I like a tidy room, but leftover breakfast dishes sometimes get in the way. I enjoy cooking—in fact, it’s my job—but groceries won’t find their way to my fridge, unless I go to the store and buy them. A walk outdoors greatly improves my day, but the clock seems determined to run out of time. I need clean clothes, a tidy bathroom, and a nicely swept floor, however, there seems to be more important things to do half the time.           A few “non-essentials” creep into the space between my shifts and writing deadlines. Things like eating healthy food for my body, working out, having relational contact with other humans, and reading. All these things "don’t matter," they just affect my everyday life.           Other extremely important things like to fill the place of all those “non-essentials," like wasting my time, preening my toenails, and other “essentials”. The hardest thing to remember, now

A Week in Retrospect

Highlights from each day this week.            Saturday: I worked with Mom in the garden, pruning tomato plants and hauling off weeds. It was companionable to work together.            Friday: I made Swedish apple pie for the first time and really like it. Flour, spices, sugar, leavening and egg are mixed with chopped apples and baked. It is a sensible, yummy desert.            Thursday: I started another book project, which is really fun. It will be writing about my current life as fiction.            Wednesday: Enjoyed my tidy room and a painting mom propped on my bookshelf. I hadn’t known where to put it, and the bookshelf was the perfect place!           Tuesday: Worked on minimalism article for the newspaper and got rid of a few more things out of my room.            Monday: I went to a Sacred Harp singing with a friend. It was a totally new experience and fun at the same time. I sang alto and eventually figured out how to sing with the 4-shape-note system. I’d definitely go again